This recipe yields 4 servings, which means you can enjoy it and a bottle of wine with friends.
And the wine to serve? Syrah from California or Shiraz from Australia.
LIVER AND ONIONS
- 1¼ lbs. calves or veal liver, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of flour
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Paprika, to taste
- Dry mustard, to taste
- 3 teaspoons bacon fat
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- Season the flour with salt, pepper, paprika and dry mustard. Mix well.
- Dredge the calves or veal liver in seasoned flour, and set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet on medium high heat. Add a teaspoon of bacon fat. Sauté the onions until translucent (about 2 minutes).
- Remove onions from pan with a slotted spoon, and set aside on a serving dish.
- Add 2 more teaspoons of bacon fat to the skillet. Add the liver slices, working in batches. Fry until browned on both sides.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, sauté onions.
- Add onions to liver slices, toss, and serve.