Whether you’re in Healdsburg or Hermann, the weekend of February 16-17 provides an opportunity to spend time with your sweetie, savoring two of the necessities for sustaining life: wine and chocolate.
On the Healdsburg Plaza in California’s Sonoma wine country, Ferrari-Carano Vineyards’ Seasons of the Vineyard Tasting Bar & Boutique will host two special tasting events each day (the first at 11 a.m., the second at 5:30 p.m.).
The cost is $10 per person, which includes two wines from Ferrari-Carano and two wines from its sister winery in Mendocino County, Lazy Creek Vineyards. Each wine will be paired with a special chocolate treat. The menu:
- 2011 Ferrari-Carano Bella Luce (white wine blend), Sonoma County, paired with Dried Apricot and White Chocolate Shortbread
- 2007 Ferrari-Carano PreVail West Face (a Cabernet Sauvignon/Syrah blend), Alexander Valley, paired with a Dried Cherry Chocolate Truffle
- 2011 Lazy Creek Rosé of Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley, paired with Milk Chocolate Hazelnut Cocoa Nib Galette
- 2010 Lazy Creek Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley, paired with a Creole Brownie
No reservations are necessary for this special series of tastings, and further information is available here.
If you live in the Midwest or will be traveling through that part of the country that weekend, check out Missouri’s Hermann Wine Trail, which meanders through some of that state’s prettiest country.
The trail is about 20 miles long, and connects the towns of Hermann and New Haven. There are seven wineries along the route, and on February 16-17, they’ll be hosting the 2013 Chocolate Wine Trail.
What makes this event particularly alluring is the opportunity to taste wine varieties not normally encountered in California, Oregon or Washington—including fruit wines. Wine snobs need not apply, but open-minded wine drinkers may discover some new favorites.
Here’s what the seven wineries of the Hermann Wine Trail have in store for visitors:
- Adam Puchta Winery—Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcake, paired with the newly released Cat’s Meow
- Bias Vineyards—Chocolate-Dipped Strawberry Surprise, paired with Strawberry Weisser Flieder
- Dierberg Star Lane Tasting Room—Blueberries in a Black Pepper Chocolate-Syrah Syrup, paired with Three Saints Syrah
- Hermannhof Winery—Chocolate Truffle Torte with Norton-Blackberry Ganache, paired with Norton
- OakGlenn Winery—Cincinnati Chili, paired with Chardonel
- Robller Winery—Chocolate Whoopie Pie, paired with Villa Rouge
- Stone Hill Winery—White Chocolate Popcorn with Raspberry Drizzle, paired with Brut Rosé Sparkling Wine
Tickets must be purchased in advance. The cost is $30 per person, which includes a souvenir wine glass. Details are available here.
Next week: More tips to help you prepare for a vinous Valentine’s Day.