The wonderful thing about Panini is that it can be pretty much anything you want it to be—mix and match ingredients to your heart’s… and stomach’s… desire.
In yesterday’s blog, we used Panera Bread’s panini menu as a jumping-off point for some wine-pairing ideas. Today, we offer a recipe for a pretty straightforward panini, which yields 4 servings.
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- ½-lb. thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 8 garlic-flavored sandwich pickle slices
- 8 slices Italian bread (1/2-inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large skillet, saute onions in oil until softened.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Layer the cheese, ham, tomato, pickles and caramelized onions on four bread slices. Top with remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter.
- Cook on a panini maker or indoor grill for 3-4 minutes, or until bread is browned and cheese is melted.