The numbers on the Festival del Sole website are impressive:
- 10 days.
- 100 wineries.
- More than 60 events.
The festival takes place in California’s world-famous Napa Valley, so, yes, there will be wine involved. And food. Plus music, dance and theater.
Perusing the extensive schedule, here are the events—one event from each day—that caught my eye…
- July 12 — First Night With Audra McDonald, a celebrated soprano who will be performing at Castello di Amorosa.
- July 13 — A Taste of Napa, featuring Napa Valley wines, food from local artisanal purveyors, and a silent auction of one-of-a-kind art objects, at the Napa Valley Country Club.
- July 14 — Allegro Brunch at Chimney Rock, a lavish meal accompanied by fine wines and music.
- July 15 — Les Violettes at Grgich Hills. This is a sentimental selection for me, as Grgich Hills was one of the first wineries I visited when I first caught the vinous bug. (I wonder if the members of the Violettes know that winery co-founder Mike Grgich has a daughter named Violet, as well as a dessert wine named Viloetta? Just askin’…)
- July 16 — Dinner at Keller Estate, overlooking the rows of grapevines and olive trees.
- July 17 — 140th Anniversary Celebration at Spring Mountain Vineyard. This event has it all… an alfresco, multi-course luncheon… estate-grown wines… and a musical performance in the lush gardens. It sounds like a mini version of my favorite annual North Coast wine event: Winesong.
- July 18 — Dinner at Alpha Omega. One of the world’s most famous winemakers, Michel Rolland, teams up with Jean Hoefliger to craft the wines at this boutique estate, where guests will enjoy a family-style wine-and-barbecue dinner.
- July 19 — Bouchaine Young Artist Concert at the Jarvis Conservatory, featuring pianist extraordinaire Marika Bournaki, who has been described as “the Celine Dion of classical music.”
- July 20 — Vintner’s Luncheon at The Hess Collection. Guests will be surrounded by part of proprietor Donald Hess’ astounding art collection as they enjoy estate wines and a special meal prepared by Executive Chef Chad Hendrickson.
- July 21 — Sparkling Brunch at Domaine Carneros. There’s no better place to spend a Sunday morning in North Coast wine country, and that’s especially true during this year’s Festival del Sole. Following an alfresco music performance, guests will enjoy a specially prepared bunch, accompanied by acclaimed sparkling wines.
Keep in mind that these are just a few of the events on the festival schedule. To view the full schedule and purchase tickets, click here.