“Avocado” isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when we think about food-and-wine pairings. But as we talked about in Tuesday’s blog, the pairing possibilities include Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, sparkling wine and Chardonnay — depending on the dish.
The dish described below is easy to prepare (it takes only about 15 minutes), and matches nicely with Chardonnay — either “California-style” (rich and buttery) or “unoaked.”
This recipe yields about 8 servings.
RED POTATO SALAD WITH AVOCADO
• 2 lbs. red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
• 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
• 5 tsp. cider vinegar
• 2 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
• 3/4 tsp. ground black pepper
• 3/4 tsp. salt
• 4 green onions, sliced
• 2 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
1. Place potatoes in a medium pan and cover with water.
2. Bring water to a boil and cook potatoes for about 15 minutes, or until just tender when pierced with a fork.
3. Drain well and pour into bowl.
4. Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper.
5. Add dressing and green onions to potatoes and gently toss.
6. Stir in avocados.
7. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours to allow flavors to meld.