Stews are welcome additions to the dinner table during the cold winter months, and the following recipe for Corsican Lamb Stew is packed with flavor.
This dish pairs nicely with Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon, and this recipe makes 4 servings.
CORSICAN LAMB STEW
• 2 lbs. lamb shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into ¾-inch cubes
• Flour (for dredging)
• ½ cup olive oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 12 cloves garlic
• ½ cup Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon (not too “oaky”)
• Lamb stock (to cover)
• 8 small artichoke hearts, quartered
• 24 Greek olives, pitted
• 1 fennel bulb, sliced
• 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
• 2 tsp. rosemary, chopped
• 1 Tbs. parsley
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Season lamb with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour.
3. In a heavy bottomed casserole pot, saute in olive oil, browning lightly on all sides.
4. Saute onions until transparent.
5. Add garlic, wine and lamb stock to cover.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, turning meat a few times.
7. Add artichokes, fennel, olives and rosemary. Cook for another 15-20 minutes, or until fennel is tender.
8. Skim off fat. Add tomatoes and parsley. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.