Don’t feel like fighting the bar crowds this coming Monday? You can still have an enjoyable St. Patrick’s Day right in your own home.
Try this delicious, hearty St. Paddy’s Day favorite with Barolo, Chateauneuf du Pape or a Grenache-based blend.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
• 1/2 cup flour
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 3 lbs. lamb for stew, cut in serving pieces
• 3 tablespoons fat
• 1/2 cup sliced onions
• Boiling water to cover, about 2 1/2 cups
• 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
• 2 carrots, scraped and diced
• 2 white turnips, quartered
1. Blend flour, salt and pepper, and dredge the lamb pieces in the flour mixture.
2. Heat fat in skillet, and brown the meat. Transfer to a heavy pot.
3. Cook onion in remaining fat until lightly colored, then add to the meat.
4. Add boiling water to cover meat. Cover pot tightly, and simmer at low heat for 90 minutes to 2 hours.
5. Blanch potatoes by covering them with boiling water, then drain.
6. Add potatoes, carrots and turnips to stew during the last 20 minutes. Cook until vegetables are tender.