On Saturday — which just happens to be Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day — make this tasty rendition for grownups, and enjoy it with a glass of Vermentino, Chardonnay or Pinot Gris/Grigio.
This recipe yields 1 sandwich.
SPINACH PESTO GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 2 slices whole grain bread
• 1/2 cup gruyere cheese, grated
• 1/3 tablespoon spinach pesto (see recipe that follows)
1. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
2. Butter the outside of each slice of bread. Sprinkle half of the cheeses on the inside of one slice of bread. Top with the spinach pesto, then the remaining cheese and finally the other slice of bread.
3. Grill until golden brown and the cheese has melted (about 2-4 minutes per side).
FOR THE SPINACH PESTO…
This recipe yields 1 cup — plenty for several sandwiches.
• 1 cup baby spinach (packed)
• 1/4 cup fresh herbs (parsley, dill and mint), chopped
• 1 clove garlic
• 2 tablespoons toasted walnuts
• 1/4 cup feta
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/2 lemon (juice and zest)
• Salt and pepper, to taste
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend.