This Sunday is National Prime Rib Day, and the recipe that follows will yield 8-10 servings.
What wine to serve? That depends on the preparation. For a few suggestions, click here.
PRIME RIB WITH GARLIC & ROSEMARY
• 1 (5-lb.) boneless beef rib roast (bone optional)
• 1/3 teaspoon coarse salt
• 1/3 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
• 10 garlic cloves
1. Allow roast to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, mix salt, pepper and rosemary together.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
4. Score roast in 10 random spots for the garlic. Rub roast with the seasoning mix. Place cloves into slices.
5. Place roast on a rack in the pan with the fat side up.
6. Roast for 1 hour.
7. Turn off oven.
8. Leave roast in oven, but do not open oven door for 3 hours.
9. About 30 to 40 minutes before serving time, return oven to 375 degrees F and reheat the roast. (Do not remove roast or re-open the oven door from the time roast is put in until 20 minutes prior to serving.)
10. Remove roast 20 minutes after re-heating.
11. Slice end cuts for those who prefer medium-well, and center cuts for those that prefer medium rare to rare.