What’s that? You say you didn’t get in enough grilling over the 4th of July weekend? You still have some briquettes in the bag?
Well, here’s a dish that’s easy to prepare and makes a wonderful starter course. Petite Sirah, Zinfandel or a bold red blend would match nicely with it, and this recipe makes enough to fill a party pass-around platter.
GRILLED FIGS WITH GORGONZOLA
• 6 to 8 large ripe figs
• Small wedge of Gorgonzola cheese, cut into cubes
• Extra virgin olive oil
• Aged balsamic vinegar
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Trim fig tops and cut each open half-way down the middle. (Note: Do not cut into pieces.)
2. Add olive oil, salt and pepper to cut figs.
3. Grill on heated outdoor barbecue, 3-4 minutes for each side over medium heat.
4. Remove figs from grill and stuff with pieces of cheese. (Note: The cheese will begin to soften and melt.)
5. Arrange figs on a serving dish and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
6. Serve warm with crackers.