Looking to lend a special touch to your Thanksgiving meal this week?
Consider kicking off the big feast with this hearty soup, which matches beautifully with rich, buttery Chardonnay — the same wine you may want to serve with the turkey main course.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- A 2- or 3-lb. butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cut squash into 1-inch chunks.
- In a large pot, melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent (about 8 minutes).
- Add squash and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- Remove squash chunks with a slotted spoon, place in a blender, and puree.
- Return blended squash to pot. Stir and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.