Is there another turkey in your future this holiday season? Want to spice it up a bit?
Jennie-O is a dependable source of quality frozen turkeys, and this recipe comes from the Jennie-O kitchens.
Try this preparation with a classic American wine — Zinfandel — or with an Italian red.
This recipe yields 12 servings.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- ¾ teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 Jennie-O Premium Basted Young Turkey (10 to 12 pounds), thawed, giblets and neck removed
- In a bowl, combine chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano and red pepper.
- Stir in water to make a paste.
- Rub spice mixture on turkey.
- Cook turkey as specified on the package. Roast until timer pops up and turkey is fully cooked, 180°F as measured by a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh. (Note: Always confirm doneness with a meat thermometer. Juices should run clear.)
- Let turkey stand 20 minutes before carving.