I happened to have the Weather Channel on at the time, and was reminded of how numbingly cold it has been this winter in so many parts of the country.
And THAT reminded me of a dish we featured here back in 2007. It’s called, simply enough, Slow-Cooking Stew. It not only makes a house smell wonderful as it cooks, but it’s a perfect pairing partner for Merlot.
A flavorful wine such as Merlot calls for a flavorful main dish. This tasty recipe fits the bill deliciously, and makes about 6 servings.
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 lbs. cubed stew meat
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 1 can (10.75-oz.) condensed golden mushroom soup
- 1 3/4 cups water
- Place carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, onion and celery in slow cooker. Place stew meat over vegetables.
- In a medium bowl, combine the soup mix with the can of soup. Add water and mix well. Pour in slow cooker over meat and vegetables. Add water as needed so liquid comes just to the bottom of the meat.
- Cook on low setting overnight, adding more water as necessary in morning. Allow to cook all day.