On cold winter nights… and goodness knows we’ve had enough of those lately… you need food that will warm you up.
This dish is just the ticket, and it pairs perfectly with Zinfandel, a variety currently on sale through tonight on Vinesse.com.
This recipe yields about 8 servings, which makes it perfect for sharing with friends, along with a bottle (or two) of Zin.
SMOKED SAUSAGE CASSOULET
- 2 bacon slices
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 (15-oz.) cans Great Northern beans (or other white beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 pound lean boneless pork loin roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 teaspoons finely shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 8 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, and crumble. Add onion, thyme, rosemary and garlic to drippings in pan, then sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in crumbled bacon, salt, pepper and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Place half of beans in a large bowl, and mash with a potato masher until chunky. Add remaining half of beans, pork and sausage, and stir well. Place half of bean mixture in a 3 1/2-quart electric slow cooker, and top with half of tomato mixture. Repeat layers.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.