In case you missed it, there are some pretty nice wines on sale in this week’s Cyber Circle offering that is devoted to Sauvignon Blanc. Check it out here.
We usually recommend Sauvignon Blanc as an ideal pairing partner for seafood, including seared scallops, grilled shrimp and even sushi. But it also is one of the few wine varieties that matches well with asparagus and dishes that include asparagus.
This dish proves the point. Because of its assertive flavors, we suggest chilling the wine a bit longer than you normally would; in this case, as little bit colder would be a good thing.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
ASPARAGUS WITH CHEESE SAUCE
- 400 grams asparagus
- 25 grams butter
- 25 grams flour
- 300-ml. milk
- 50 grams cheddar cheese, grated
- Pinch of salt
- Pepper to taste
- Snap the ends off the asparagus and discard.
- Grill or steam the asparagus by your favorite method while you prepare the cheese sauce.
- Place the butter in a small saucepan and melt over a low heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in the flour with a wooden spoon to form a paste.
- Carefully add one-fourth of the milk, slowly incorporating it into the paste without allowing lumps to form.
- Return to a low heat and continue to add the remainder of the milk, again ensuring that it is fully mixed in without lumps forming.
- Add the grated cheese and keep stirring until the sauce thickens and the cheese has melted.
- Place the asparagus on plates and pour a small quantity of cheese over each serving.