You have leftover turkey following the big holiday feast.
It’s cold outside.
The Monday Night Football game between the Bengals and the Broncos is about to come on TV.
You’re hungry, and so are three of your best friends.
These sandwiches are easy to make, and pair perfectly with Pinot Grigio, like the bottlings featured in today’s Cyber Circle special. This recipe yields 4 sandwiches.
TURKEY GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 slices whole wheat bread (not too thick)
- Four 3/4-oz. slices processed American cheese
- 8 vertical slices of dill pickle
- Leftover white meat turkey, cut into small slices
- 12 to 16 red onion rings
- Four 1 1/2-oz. slices Wisconsin sharp (aged) cheddar cheese
- Using a pastry brush, butter each slice of bread on one side, and place 4 slices, buttered side down, on a work surface.
- Place on each of these slices one slice processed American, 2 slices dill pickles, turkey slices, 3 to 4 red onion rings and 1 slice of cheddar.
- Top with the remaining 4 bread slices, buttered side up.
- Lightly butter and heat a griddle or heavy skillet until hot.
- Place 2 sandwiches in the skillet and weight with another heavy pan or skillet. Brown slowly on one side for 2-3 minutes before turning, with a spatula, and grilling the other side until brown and cheese melts. (Note: It may be necessary to add a bit more butter to the skillet.)
- Repeat with remaining two sandwiches. Serve immediately.