Today is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day. If you can’t get to one of the outstanding purveyors of gooey goodness mentioned in yesterday’s blog, then you owe it to yourself, if not your heart health, to work on your skillet skills tonight.
This recipe yields one sandwich, and we suggest serving that sandwich with a glass of Beaujolais, a Rhone-style blend (Grenache, Syrah and Mourvedre), or any of the individual varietals in such blends.
CAPRESE GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
- 2 slices fresh sourdough bread
- 3 oz. fresh mozzarella, grated
- 5 Roma tomato slices
- 1 Tbsp chopped, fresh basil ribbons
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 clove garlic
- Sprinkle grated mozzarella evenly over one slice of bread. Add a layer of sliced tomatoes.
- Sprinkle basil ribbons over top and season with ground black pepper to taste, then cover with remaining slice of bread.
- Drizzle 1 tsp. olive oil in a non-stick skillet and heat over medium-low heat, evenly coating the skillet.
- Add sandwich, cover with lid, and cook until sandwich is golden brown on bottom (about 2 minutes).
- Lift sandwich out of skillet and drizzle remaining 1 tsp. olive oil into skillet, again coating it evenly. Carefully flip sandwich to opposite side and return to skillet, cover with lid, and continue to cook until bottom side is golden brown and cheese is melted through.
- Remove from skillet and lightly brush garlic clove along toasted sides of bread.