It doesn’t need to be New Year’s Eve and you don’t need to be attending a wedding to pop the cork on a bottle of sparkling wine.
Around our house, we always have a few bottles of French Champagne on hand, as well as several additional bottles of sparkling wine from other parts of the world.
When it comes to Champagne, the Bruno Paillard “Premiere Cuvee” Brut is a personal favorite because it simultaneously delivers plenty of pure drinking pleasure and an abundance of value.
From the Vinesse Entertainer’s Fantasy Sparkling Collection, the Castell de Sant Bau Brut from Spain is a personal favorite because it pairs so perfectly with tapas.
Which brings me to my list of reasons to always have a bottle (or six) of sparkling wine on hand…
- Sparkling wine is extremely compatible with food. Whether it’s Spanish tapas, an appetizer platter, or Sunday brunch fare, sparkling wine is an outstanding pairing partner.
- You never know when an old friend… or relative… may show up at your door unexpectedly.
- Someone in your life is about to celebrate a birthday or an anniversary — an occasion that calls for a toast.
- You or your Significant Other got an unexpected (or expected) promotion or raise.
- You want to prepare a special meal for a special person, and a special meal gains class when sparkling wine is the beverage served.
- You want to say “thanks” to a neighbor for keeping an eye on your place when you were on vacation.
- The sound of a Champagne cork emerging from a bottle is one of only a few instantly recognizable sounds we experience — and it’s almost guaranteed to bring a smile to the face of anyone who hears it.
- A friend or neighbor just had a baby. (They’ll not only appreciate a glass of bubbly — they may need one!)
- You or your spouse passed the bar exam — which means you’ll be able to afford a lot more Champagne in the future!
- It’s Friday night. You need to be ready.