Ten years ago this month, we featured a recipe that is sure to appeal to anyone who loves garlic.
Back then, I simply enjoyed the flavor of garlic and how it elevated so many types of food that I love — everything from bruschetta to osso bucco.
But as I’ve since learned, eating garlic also is good for one’s health. As noted in the Healthline newsletter…
- Garlic contains a compound called allicin, which has potent medicinal properties.
- Garlic is highly nutritious, but has very few calories.
- Garlic can combat sickness, including the common cold.
- The active compounds in garlic can reduce high blood pressure.
- Garlic improves cholesterol levels, which may lower the risk of heart disease.
- Garlic contains antioxidants that may help prevent Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
- Garlic may help you live longer.
- Athletic performance can be improved with garlic supplementation.
- Eating garlic can help detoxify heavy metals in the body.
- Garlic may improve bone health.
Enjoy this easy-to-prepare dish with any wine you enjoy with garlic-flavored food. My personal choices would be a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc or, when I feel like drinking a red, Sangiovese.
SPAGHETTINI AGLIO OLIO
* 1-lb. spaghettini
* 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
* 10 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
* 1/2-cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
* 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil in an 8-quart pot over high heat. Stir the spaghettini into the boiling water. Cook the pasta, semi-covered, stirring occasionally, until tender but firm.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, shaking the skillet and stirring, until pale golden. Remove from the heat and add crushed pepper.
- Ladle about 1 1/2 cups of the pasta cooking water into the sauce. Add the parsley, the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt to taste.
- Drain pasta, return it to the pot and pour in the sauce. Cook until pasta is coated with the sauce and done. Serve immediately in warm bowls.