My daughter was a Girl Scout, and during those years I sold a lot of boxes of cookies to colleagues on behalf of her troop.
I have been returning the favor ever since, purchasing boxes from friends, relatives and even neighbors who stake out positions in front of the grocery store, making it virtually impossible to walk by without buying a box or two… or three.
Not wanting to simply consume empty calories, I usually try to find a nice wine pairing for each box we buy. Over the years, I’ve found 11 types of Girl Scout cookies that have good to great wine partners. These aren’t merely pairings to try; they are pairings that I have tried and can recommend…
* S’mores — crispy graham cookie double dipped in crème icing and finished with a scrumptious chocolaty coating.
Recommended wine pairing: Tawny Port or Moscato d’Asti.
* Thin Mints — round, mint-flavored cookies with a delicious chocolaty coating.
Recommended wine pairing: Napa Valley Syrah or Australia Shiraz.
* Peanut Butter Patties (a.k.a. Tagalongs) — a layer of peanut butter with a rich chocolaty coating.
Recommended wine pairing: Tawny Port or Amarone.
* Do-si-dos (a.k.a. Peanut Butter Sandwich) — sandwich cookies with crisp and crunchy oatmeal on the outside and creamy peanut butter inside.
Recommended wine pairing: Sauternes (the sweet wine of Bordeaux).
* Savannah Smiles — zesty, lemon-flavored cookies dusted with powdered sugar.
Recommended wine pairing: dry Riesling or rosé sparkling wine.
* Toffee-tastic — rich, buttery cookies with sweet, crunchy golden toffee bits.
Recommended wine pairing: A traditional France Rhone red or Australia blend of Grenache, Syrah and Mourvedre.
* Caramel delites (a.k.a. Samoas) — caramel and toasted coconut-covered.
Recommended wine pairing: Tawny Port.
* Shortbread (a.k.a. Trefoils) — classic shortbread cookies made in the shape of the Girl Scouts’ iconic trefoil.
Recommended wine pairing: Prosecco or a Burgundian-style Chardonnay.
* Lemonades — tangy lemon-icing-topped shortbread cookies.
* Thanks-A-Lot — tasty shortbread cookies with fudge on the bottom.
Recommended wine pairing: Chateauneuf-du-Pape.
* Trios — chocolate chips nestled in a gluten-free peanut butter/oatmeal cookie.