Wine is a topic that lends itself to memorable observations.
That’s because it not only is a beverage, but also an esteemed food companion, a symbol of celebrations and a humble instigator of conversation.
Quotes about wine can be found in the Bible, literature of multiple genres, poetry and song lyrics. Sometimes it seems as if the references to our favorite adult beverage are ubiquitous.
Quotable wine topics cover the gamut from thoughtful observation to whimsical asides. I’m a collector of wine quotes — there are entire books featuring quote lists — and here are five of my favorites, in no particular order…
- “Wine to me is passion. It’s family and friends. It’s warmth of heart and generosity of spirit.” — Robert Mondavi, the late vintner whose relentless promotion helped put California’s Napa Valley on the map
- “Maybe it’s because I’m getting older, I’m finding enjoyment in things that stop time. Just the simple act of tasting a glass of wine is its own event. You’re not downing a glass of wine in the midst of doing something else.” — Actor David Hyde Pierce
(Note: One of my favorite sitcoms ever was Frasier, on which Hyde Pierce played Niles, the brother of the program’s star, Kelsey Grammer. In one memorable episode, Frasier resigned from the highbrow wine club to host a wine show at KACL, but interrupted Niles’s corkmaster inauguration speech to make his announcement. Out of revenge, Niles forbade all club members from calling into his brother’s new show. Frasier then went back to the club to confront him about it, and they had a major falling-out… which ultimately was resolved, of course.)
- “Wine represents to me sharing and good times and a celebration of life. It is always around happy occasions with family and friends, and centered around joy. What better item to be involved in than something that represents all these wonderful things.” — Actor, comedian and writer Dan Aykroyd
(Note: Aykroyd also is part owner of a handful of wineries in Canada’s Niagara Peninsula region.)
- “The funny thing is, wine is turning out to be a great investment. I couldn’t believe what happened with the value of my wine futures. I pinched myself and asked, ‘Did I just make more money on wine barrel futures than I did on the stock market?’” — Financial advisor and television personality Suze Orman
- “I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.” — Comedian and actor W.C. Fields