With much of the country in a deep freeze over much of the winter, Crock-Pots and other slow cookers have been popular choices for cooking tasty, wine-friendly meals.
This dish is a perfect pairing partner for Chianti or any Sangiovese-based wine. It also pairs nicely with Cabernet Sauvignon wines that aren’t overly oaky, spicy Zinfandel, as well as almost any red blend.
This recipe will easily feed 2 to 4 hungry people… and you’ll likely have leftovers!
WINTER WEEKEND MEATBALLS
* 1-lb. ground beef
* ½ onion, finely diced
* Salt and pepper to taste
* ½ teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
* 2 eggs
* ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
* ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
* 2 cups tomato-based pasta sauce
1. Combine all ingredients except pasta sauce in a bowl and mix well.
2. Roll meat mixture into 1.5-inch balls (about 30 meatballs).
3. Place meatballs in a skillet over medium-high heat, and brown on all sides.
4. Drain any fat, and place meatballs in slow cooker.
5. Pour pasta sauce over top and stir carefully so you don’t “break” the meatballs.
6. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.