Did you wake up this morning and realize you forgot to thaw the turkey? Oh-oh.
A call to the Butterball Turkey Talk Line — 800-288-8372 — might save the day.
Or, you could switch gears, pick up a ham and a few other ingredients at the market, and make it a ham day instead of a turkey day.
Juicy white wines, including those with a little bit of sweetness, would make wonderful pairing partners for this main dish. So would a sparkling wine, the effervescence of which would “neutralize” the saltiness of the ham.
So if you find yourself in a fix… or are looking for something to serve for the next big holiday gathering… try this easy-to-prepare dish. This recipe yields 18 to 20 servings.
WOW-THEM HOLIDAY HAM
* 1 can (20-oz.) sliced pineapple
* 1/2 spiral-sliced, fully cooked, bone-in ham (8 to10-lbs.)
* 2/3 cup maraschino cherries
* 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice.
- Place ham on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Secure pineapple and cherries to ham with toothpicks.
- Combine brown sugar and seasoned salt; rub over ham. Gently pour pineapple juice over ham.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees F for 90 minutes to 2 hours, or until a meat thermometer reads 140 degrees F and ham is heated through. Baste frequently with brown sugar mixture.