Today has been designated “The Great American Takeout” Day as a way of showing support to those who work in the restaurant industry.
Americans are being asked to order at least one delivery or pick-up meal today, and to help spread the word by sharing your efforts via social media using the hashtag, #TheGreatAmericanTakeout.
There’s a lot of exceptional delivery and pick-up food being offered, much of it extremely wine-friendly. First, let’s take a look at some of the restaurants taking part, and then we’ll offer wine-pairing suggestions from five of the menus.
Participating restaurants include:
Veggie Grill, Chicken Salad Chick, Blaze Pizza, Upward Projects, Pacific Catch, Panera Bread, BJ’s Restaurants and Brewhouse, Noodles & Company, Outback, El Torito, Jason’s Deli, The Habit Burger Grill, The Cheesecake Factory, Lemonade, Modern Market, The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Tocaya Organica, Torchy’s Tacos, Chevys Fresh Mex, Lucille’s Smokehouse Bar-B-Que, Del Taco, Primanti Brothers, Tropical Smoothie Cafe, California Pizza Kitchen, Shari’s Restaurants, Beefsteak, Which Wich Superior Sandwiches, ZaLat Pizza, Sharky’s Woodfire Mexican Grill, California Tortilla, Qdoba Mexican Eats, Curry Up Now, Urbane Café, Paris Baguette, IHOP, Applebee’s, Dickeys Barbecue Pit, Mountain Mike’s Pizza, Coco’s Restaurant & Bakery, Carrow’s Restaurants, Black Bear Diner, Good Times Burgers, Bad Daddy’s Burger Bar, Miguel’s Restaurant & Miguel’s Jr., Wild Wing Cafe, Green Leaf Chop Shop, and CityRange Steakhouse Grill.
Ten outstanding pairing partners:
- BJ’s Restaurants and Brewhouse — Many people are inclined to have a beer when they dine at this restaurant, given the latter part of its name. But its Jumbo Spaghetti and Meatballs meal pairs very nicely with Sangiovese and Chianti.
- Chevys Fresh Mex —The Grilled Salmon, which is served with pineapple salsa, calls for a refreshing wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or an “un-oaked” Chardonnay.
- California Pizza Kitchen — This restaurant offers so many different types/flavors of pizza that there’s bound to be a bottle on your rack that will match with one of the pies. Among our favorites: the Pear + Gorgonzola Pizza with Syrah, Pinot Grigio or a rosé-style wine. That’s right, this pizza pairs with red, white and rosé. Talk about versatility!
- IHOP — Wine with pancakes?!! Order a Belgian Waffle or Buttermilk Pancakes, skip the syrup (and save some calories), add an order of Pork Sausage Links, and open a bottle of California Zinfandel. (Note: We are NOT suggesting this for breakfast.)
- Applebee’s — The Shrimp ’N Parmesan Sirloin gives you an excuse to open two bottles of wine. Pour a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot to accompany the steak, and a glass of your favorite sparkling wine to sip with the sautéed blackened shrimp.
Now it’s to place that order, and then raise a toast to America’s restaurant workers.