The best meals are those that fill the kitchen with incredible aromas as they’re being prepared.
This dish becomes more and more alluring as each ingredient is added, and this recipe yields 2-4 servings, depending on your appetite (and your willingness to share).
Enjoy it with a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Zinfandel, Petite Sirah or Shiraz.
PARMESAN POLENTA WITH SAUSAGE RAGU
* 2 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 lb. sweet Italian sausages, casings removed
* 1 red onion, minced
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 28-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
* 1 1⁄2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
* 1⁄4 cup finely chopped basil leaves
* Kosher salt, to taste
* Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
* 1 1⁄4 cups polenta
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1⁄2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and cook, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned (about 5 minutes).
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and boil.
- Simmer until thick (about 35 minutes).
- Add basil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Keep warm.
- When sauce is nearly ready, bring sea 5 cups of water to a boil in a 4-qt. saucepan. Slowly add polenta and cook, stirring constantly, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy (about 8 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add butter, Parmesan, and kosher salt to taste.
- Divide among bowls, top with ragu, and garnish with more Parmesan.