If grilling season has not yet arrived where you live… it will soon.
For a different take on traditional grilled burgers, try this recipe. It yields four quarter-pound burgers, which can be cut in half to serve more people, if you wish.
The recipe calls for a small amount of Merlot, so use the rest of the bottle to sip and enjoy with the burgers.
WILD MUSHROOM BURGERS
- 4 artisan hamburger buns
- 4 quarter-pound hamburger patties
- 4 slices red onion
- 4 slices young Gouda cheese
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp. chopped shallots
- 1 lb. wild mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup Merlot
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare sautéed wild mushrooms (see instructions below).
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Season and grill the burgers, placing a slice of Gouda cheese on each just before removing from the grill.
- Assemble the burgers by placing on each bottom bun, in order, a grilled burger patty, sautéed wild mushrooms, red onion and the top bun.
Sautéed Wild Mushrooms Preparation
- Heat a large pan over high heat, and add the canola oil.
- Add garlic and shallots, and cook until they become transparent.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the Merlot, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let simmer until most of the liquid has cooked away.