We tend to eat lighter — and perhaps even a bit healthier — during the summer months, in part because we have access to so many fresh fruits and vegetables.
A goat cheese salad with ripe peaches makes for a wonderful warm-weather meal. And the dish is elevated with a glass of chilled Sauvignon Blanc.
The recipe that follows yields about 5 servings.
GOAT CHEESE SALAD WITH RIPE PEACHES
* Cooking spray
* ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
* 2 Tbsp. honey
* 3 ripe yellow peaches, cut into wedges
* 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
* Salt, to taste
* Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
* 11 cups arugula, loosely packed
* 5 Tbsp. goat cheese
- Preheat grill to high heat. Spray grill rack with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vinegar is reduced to about 2 Tbsp.
- Remove from heat and stir in honey, then cool to room temperature.
- Place peach wedges on grill rack, and grill for about 30 seconds on each side. (Grill marks should appear, but peaches should still be firm.) Remove from grill and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, salt and pepper.
- Add arugula, and toss gently to coat.
- Place arugula mixture on a platter and top with peach wedges, balsamic syrup and goat cheese.