Catalonian-style mussels make a great companion to brut-style — in other words, very dry — sparkling wines.
For an authentic taste of Catalonia, try this dish with a sparkling brut from Spain. This recipe yields 6 servings.
MEIJILLONES A LA CATALANA
* 18 medium-size mussels
* 2 medium/large tomatoes, cored and chopped
* 3 Tbs. olive oil
* ½ tsp. chili powder
* 1 small onion, minced
* 1 cup brut-style sparkling wine
* Salt, to taste
* White pepper, to taste
* Parsley, finely chopped
1. In a medium-sized frying pan, heat olive oil.
2. Add onion and cook until transparent (about 10 minutes).
3. Add tomatoes and sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Add chili powder, salt and white pepper, and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add sparkling wine and cook until liquid is reduced by half.
6. Add mussels. Cover pan and cook until mussels have opened. Garnish with parsley.