It’s finally here. The last day of a most forgettable year.
In the past, we’ve shared some ideas for tongue-in-cheek toasts to bid adieu to the year gone by and welcome in the new year.
But given all we’ve been through in 2020, humor seems a bit out of place. Tonight, we’ll be sticking to some heartfelt toasts, and perhaps amending them just a bit to fit the times.
Pick and choose from this list to find the toast that fits your situation the best. Pour a glass of bubbly — French Champagne, Italian Prosecco, Spanish Cava or American sparkling wine — and use it to clear your palate of 2020.
* May the best of your past be the worst of your future.
* May all your troubles last as long as your new year’s resolutions.
* May your troubles be less and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
* In the New Year, may your right hand always be stretched out in friendship, but never in want.
(Note: For the time being, you may want to keep using your elbow instead of your hand.)
* A New Year’s toast to love and laughter and happily ever after.
* Here’s to a bright New Year and a fond farewell to the old.
(Well, maybe not so fond… more like “good riddance.”)
* Here’s a toast to the future, a toast to the past, and a toast to our friends, far and near.
* Out with the old, in with the new, cheers to the future, and all that we do.
* May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
* May luck be your friend in whatever you do and may trouble be always a stranger to you.
* Tomorrow is the first blank page of a 365-page book. Write a good one.
Happy New Year… and cheers!