Yes, you could stop by the supermarket deli and pick up a tub of chicken salad for your first picnic of the year.
But where’s the fun in that?
Why not make the chicken salad yourself, and use some vino-friendly ingredients so you can transform your picnic into a party?
The following recipe yields 4 servings, and those servings can be enjoyed on multi-grain bread or crackers.
And when it comes to the wine, we’d suggest Pinot Gris, Pinot Grigio, Chenin Blanc or a not-too-oaky Chardonnay. Whichever wine you select, give it a slight chill-down before serving, since the chicken salad will be cold.
* 3 chicken breasts, grilled and cut into bite-sized cubes
* 2/3 pound seedless grapes
* ½ cup cashews
* 2 green onions, finely sliced
* 2 celery stalks, diced
* 8 ounces plain low-fat yogurt
* 2 tablespoons honey
* Pepper to taste
* 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1. Cut grapes in half.
2. In a bowl, toss grapes with other salad ingredients.
3. In a small bowl, place dressing ingredients and whisk until melded.
4. Chill salad and dressing separately.
5. When ready to serve, toss all ingredients together.