It used to be said that everything tasted better with butter.
Today, the popular assertion is that everything tastes better with bacon.
Burgers… pizza… maple bar donuts… even ice cream.
So, why not spaghetti?
If you’re looking for a new take on a favorite Italian dish, try adding bacon to the mix. It adds a flavor component that perfectly complements and even heightens the tomato sauce.
Because the bacon adds a salty note to the overall flavor of the dish, wine with a nice acid base is needed for a pairing partner. A well-chilled rosé-style table wine or sparkling wine works beautifully.
This dish is easy to make, and this recipe yields 4 servings.
SPAGHETTI WITH BACON
* 4 oz. packaged uncooked spaghetti
* ½ lb. bacon strips, chopped
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
* 8-oz. can tomato sauce
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
2. Cook spaghetti according to package directions until al dente.
3. In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp. Drain skillet.
4. Stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce, and bring to a boil.
5. Transfer spaghetti to a greased 11-inch by 7-inch baking dish. Spread sauce over top.
6. Cover and bake for approximately 42 minutes until bubbly.