Check the calendar — the first day of spring is only 12 days away!
And while the simple turn of a calendar page does not magically flip the seasons from a cold winter to a warm spring, it does signal the gradual transition from eating an abundance of hearty fare to noshing on lighter dishes.
A favorite meal we’re looking forward to making in the coming weeks is a Strawberry, Burrata and Basil Salad. This is a delicious salad that’s crunchy and fun to eat.
Much of the fun comes from the cheese and its contrasting textures. With a soft shell wrapped around a creamy center, it treats the palate to wonderful sensations with a buttery consistency.
Two wines pair particularly well with this salad. Sauvignon Blanc is a go-to choice for almost any salad, and so it is with this one. And with strawberries among the key ingredients, another inspired wine choice would be a well-chilled rosé.
The following recipe yields 4 servings.
STRAWBERRY, BURRATA AND BASIL SALAD
* 8-oz. container fresh strawberries, cut into bite-sized chunks
* 8-oz. ball fresh burrata cheese
* 2 Tbsp. small fresh basil leaves
* 2 Tbsp. toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
* 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 Tbsp. balsamic syrup
1. In a large bowl, place ball of burrata cheese.
2. Sprinkle strawberry pieces, basil leaves and walnut pieces around the cheese.
3. Drizzle olive oil over the items in the bowl.
4. Sprinkle black pepper.
5. Drizzle balsamic syrup and serve.