We’re always looking for new twists on old favorites, and this recipe really brings pork chops to life with a “glaze” made from one of our favorite foods — red grapes!
That glaze also provides the pairing partner for a glass of wine, and there are so many reds that would work wonderfully — from Gamay to Grenache, and from Pinot Noir to Cabernet Franc.
This dish is so flavorful that it does not need added salt, and the topping has just enough sweetness that no added sugar is needed. This recipe yields 4 servings.
PORK CHOPS WITH BLISTERED GRAPES
* ½ garlic head, sliced lengthwise
* 5 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
* 4 bone-in pork loin chops
* ½ tsp. black pepper
* 1 lb. seedless red grapes, removed from stems
* 2 shallots, thinly sliced
* Balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. On a sheet of aluminum foil, place half of garlic head and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Wrap and roast until soft (about 45 minutes).
3. Separate cloves from skins and mash cloves. Set aside.
4. Sprinkle pork chops with pepper.
5. In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
6. Add 2 chops to skillet and cook until golden brown (about 5 minutes per side).
7. Transfer chops to a plate and cover, then repeat process with other 2 chops.
8. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet. Add grapes, and over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, cook until grapes burst (about 4 minutes).
9. Add the final tablespoon of oil to skillet, along with shallots and minced garlic. Stir entire mixture constantly until all ingredients are well blended (about 2 minutes).
10. Plate pork chops, and top each with the blistered grape mixture. Drizzle with Balsamic vinegar to taste.